Community Languages Program (CLP)
The Community Languages Program provides support to not-for-profit community organisations to teach languages other than English and cultural maintenance programs after school hours.
Program support includes:
- a free professional learning program for community language school teachers and administrators
- Grant funding for new and established community language schools.
Other support currently in development include a Teacher’s Resource Library and a School Accreditation Program that will provide guidance and standards for community language schools in Western Australia.
Professional Learning Program
The OMI Professional Learning Program (PLP) for 2017 will be released shortly after the opening of the CLP grants funding March 2017 round.
The program is provided free of charge to all teachers and administrators of Western Australia’s community language schools.
All teachers, and at least one administrator, of schools funded by the Community Languages Program must attend at least two professional learning sessions each year.
As of 2017, all community language school teachers who are not registered with the WA Teachers Registration Board will need to complete the OMI PLP Tell Me Now; Show Me How session.
Should you have any questions please contact OMI at CommunityLanguages@omi.wa.gov.au
- 2014 Review of the WA Community Languages Program
- Community Languages Australia
- School Curriculum and Standards Authority
- School Curriculum and Standards Authority The Outline—Languages FAQs
- Modern Language Teachers’ Association of Western Australia
- The State of Play: Languages Education in Western Australia (published by the School Curriculum and Standards Authority)
Community Language Program grants
The Community Languages Program offers three grant categories to support the operations of community language schools and special projects that improve the quality and delivery of language education in community language schools.
Funding is competitive, however, eligible schools could consider applying for:
- New school grants—provide community language schools that have been operating for between 12 and 52 weeks with one-off foundation funding to support start-up costs. Grants of up to $4000 are available.
- Program development grants—provide one-off support for projects that will assist schools to develop their language education program. Grants of up to $10,000 are available.
- Per capita grants—assist established community language schools operating for more than 12 months with the costs of running the school. Grants of $120 per student (K-12) and an additional $120 per student enrolled at West Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) level are available.
The CLP 2017 Grant round will open on
Monday 27 February 2017.
Guidelines and eligibility
Please refer to the funding guidelines for details about CLP grants including eligibility criteria, assessment criteria and how to apply.
Applying for a grant?
Community language schools interested in applying for a grant are encouraged to contact OMI to discuss your application before submission.
Telephone (08) 6552 1603 or