OMI Logo for webpage print only
Site Map   |  Accessibility   |  Contact us
Go to whole of WA Government Search
Template:   Day   |  High Contrast

Migrating to Western Australia

The Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Border Protection is responsible for policies and programs relating to areas including Australia’s annual Migration and Humanitarian Programs, visa applications, citizenship and settlement of newly arrived migrants.

If you are planning or considering migrating to Western Australia you need to contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for information on visas and entry options.

For information on migrating to and living in Western Australia visit the Living in Western Australia website

Settlement services

The Commonwealth Department of Social Services provides funding to non-government organisations and local government bodies to deliver settlement services to humanitarian entrants, family migrants with low levels of English proficiency and dependants of skilled migrants with low English proficiency living in rural and regional areas.

For information on organisations providing settlement support in WA visit the Department of Social Services website

Learning English

English language tuition is provided to help newly-arrived migrants and refugees from non-English speaking backgrounds to settle successfully in Australia.

If you require assistance with communicating effectively when accessing a State Government service, you may request interpreter assistance, which will be provided at no cost.


Information on applying for Australian citizenship and the documents you must provide with your application are on the citizenship website.

After you are granted Australian citizenship you may apply for an Australian passport through your local Post Office.

Looking to visit or migrate to Australia

For information about immigration, visas, studying or working in Australia, or becoming an Australian citizen, please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.