Leadership and Governance Program
Cultural and linguistic diversity brings great benefits to boards and committees. However, there is a large pool of talent within our multicultural community that is largely untapped.
The Office of Multicultural Interests’ (OMI) Leadership and Governance Program has been developed to address this gap.
The program seeks to encourage greater representation on public, private or not-for-profit sector boards and committees. The program aims to:
- build the capacity of CaLD community members
- equip members of CaLD communities with information, knowledge and skills to enable them to apply for and participate on relevant boards and committees
- facilitate engagement of CaLD communities in government decision-making processes.
The program includes:
- ‘Diversifying Boards—Your cultural advantage’—a guide to pursuing a board role
- a governance training program based on the ‘Diversifying Boards’ guide
- a mentoring program to support graduates of the training program.
‘Diversifying Boards—Your cultural advantage’ Governance Training Program will assist participants to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to nominate for public and private sector boards and committees, and to participate fully in civic life as leaders and active citizens in Australian society.
‘Stepping Up to the Challenge’ Mentoring Program is an important adjunct to the governance training program. It is designed to support those who seek to realise their full potential and, importantly, to step up to an active board position, whether it be in the public, corporate or not-for-profit sector.